It used to be the case that the only places that offered massage were high-end spas and exclusive gyms. Massage therapy may now be found in a wide variety of settings, including workplaces, hospitals, clinics, and even airports. Learn about the probable health advantages of massage and what to expect during a massage therapy session if you have never received a massage before.
What exactly is a massage?
The act of pushing, stroking, and touching your skin, muscles, tendons, and ligaments is what is referred to as massage. The pressure applied during a massage can range from mild stroking to intense. There are several varieties of massage, some of which are more prevalent than others. These include:
- Swedish massage. Long strokes, kneading, deep round motions, vibrating, and tapping are some of the techniques used in this type of massage, which is known for its soothing nature. It makes you feel both rested and invigorated at the same time.
- Deep massage. This type of massage makes use of longer strokes that are applied with a more significant amount of pressure to reach the deeper levels of muscle tissue. It is frequently used to treat muscular damage brought on by various traumas.
- Massage for athletes. This type of therapy is quite similar to Swedish massage, but it is designed to help those who participate in athletic activities either prevent or recover from injuries.
- Trigger point massage. This massage concentrates on regions of stiff muscle fibers that can build in your muscles due to injury or overuse. These areas can be found anywhere in your muscles.
- Craniosacral therapy, sometimes known as CST or simply “craniosacral,” is a form of bodywork that releases pressure from the bones of the skull, sacrum, and spinal column. CST is not intrusive in any way. It works by applying a little pressure on the back, neck, and head to alleviate the stress and suffering generated by compression.
- Thai massage is a traditional bodywork that dates back to the time of Buddha. This one-of-a-kind massage focuses on the stretching and careful manipulation of your aching muscles, as well as paying attention to the pressure spots that help balance your body. You’ll come out of it feeling revitalized and energetic.
The benefits of massage on one’s health
It has been shown that massage treatment can benefit those suffering from various ailments, including cancer, cardiovascular disease, stomach difficulties, and fibromyalgia. Massage therapy could be helpful for everyone. Before you start seeing a therapist for the first time, you should make it a point to discuss any health concerns you may have with them. The following is a list of some of the advantages of massage treatment.
Helps reduce tension as well as anxiety
According to the findings of one research, experiencing that sense of peace and tranquility after getting a massage might help reduce feelings of tension and worry. Your body is equipped with two different nervous systems: a sympathetic nervous system and a parasympathetic nervous system.
Your sympathetic nervous system is responsible for your “fight or flight” reaction, which is activated in response to stressors. Your parasympathetic nervous system is responsible for regular and day-to-day activities, which lead to relaxation. It is believed that getting a massage might boost your parasympathetic response, reducing the amount of anxiety you feel.
Receiving a massage can lower your levels of the stress hormone cortisol and raise your levels of serotonin and dopamine, all known to maintain a stable mood. Those who suffer from sleeplessness due to menopause or congestive heart failure may find relief with a massage treatment since this is useful in scientific studies.
Lessens pain and muscular tightness
Numerous studies have investigated the potential for massage to alleviate various types of pain, including severe back pain, neck pain, headaches, and knee pain. The findings suggest that the treatment may be temporary rather than long-lasting. In certain situations, having a massage lasting sixty minutes several times per week yielded greater outcomes than receiving fewer massages of shorter duration or messages less often.
Improves immune function
Is it possible for massage to strengthen your immune system? According to one research, frequent massages may raise the number of white blood cells in your body, which are responsible for fighting off infections.
According to one piece of research, those experiencing diarrhea after surgery may find that an abdominal massage helps with bowel movements.
Relieves cancer pain
Cancer therapy’s mental and physical cost is high for patients currently receiving treatment. A lot of people have discovered that massage may help alleviate the discomfort caused by cancer, let them relax more, and overall enhance their quality of life. There have been several studies, some of which conclude that massage treatment does not alleviate the discomfort associated with cancer, while others demonstrate that it helps.
Finding someone to give you a massage
Request a reference from your primary care physician or another person in your circle of confidence. Most states have licensure, registration, or certification standards that massage therapists must meet to practice.
Asking a potential massage therapist questions like the following should not make you nervous.
- Do you hold a valid license, certification, or registration?
- Can you tell me about your education and experience?
- I was wondering how many sessions of massage treatment you believe I’ll require.
- Can you tell me how much it will cost, and will my health insurance pay for it?
The key takeaway
Put out of your mind the idea that massage is merely a technique to make yourself feel good by indulging or pampering yourself. On the contrary, massage has the potential to be a potent instrument that may assist you in taking care of your health and well-being.
This is true regardless of whether you suffer from a particular health problem or are simply searching for an additional stress reliever. You may even educate yourself on how to give yourself a massage or how to provide a massage to a lover in the comfort of your own home.
If you want to experience the great benefits of massage therapy, book an appointment with Integrated Med Spa.