Dermaplaning is a non-invasive skincare treatment that has gained popularity in recent years. It involves using a surgical scalpel to eliminate dead skin cells and fine facial hair, or peach fuzz, from the skin’s surface. Indeed, it has become famous for individuals looking for a quick and effective way to exfoliate and rejuvenate their skin.
What Is Dermaplaning?
Dermaplaning is a cosmetic procedure involving a surgical scalpel or a specialized tool to exfoliate the top layer of skin on the face. The process aims to remove dead skin cells, smooth the skin’s surface, and improve its overall appearance. A licensed skin care professional or aesthetician typically performs it.
During a dermaplaning treatment, a licensed aesthetician or dermatologist uses a sterile surgical scalpel to scrape the skin’s surface at a 45-degree angle gently. The scalpel removes the top layer of dead skin cells and the fine facial hair or “peach fuzz.” Some aestheticians may also use a handheld dermaplaning device, which can be less precise than a scalpel but still effective.
Since dermaplaning is a non-invasive exfoliation treatment that eliminates the dead skin cells’ top layer and the vellus hair with a surgical scalpel, it differs from other exfoliation methods, such as chemical peels or microdermabrasion, using a manual tool rather than chemicals or abrasive materials. Besides, dermaplaning does not involve downtime or a recovery period and is suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin.
What Are The Benefits Of Dermaplaning For The Skin?
Dermaplaning has become increasingly popular in recent years since it provides many potential benefits for the skin. Some of the critical benefits of dermaplaning include:
- Exfoliation. Dermaplaning provides a deep exfoliation that can help eliminate dead skin cells, dirt, and oil from the skin’s surface. This can help to unclog pores and enhance the skin’s overall texture and tone.
- Smoothing fine lines and wrinkles. By eradicating the top layer of dead skin cells, dermaplaning can assist in smoothing out fine lines and wrinkles. This can also help stimulate collagen production, improving the elasticity and firmness of the skin.
- Brightening the skin. Dermaplaning can assist in exposing brighter, healthier skin beneath by eliminating the top layer of dead skin cells. This can aid in the reduction of dark spots, hyperpigmentation, and other blemishes.
- Enhancing skincare product absorption. By eradicating the top layer of dead skin cells, dermaplaning can aid in the absorption of skincare products. This allows skin care products to penetrate the skin more effectively.
- Safe for all skin types. Dermaplaning is a gentle, non-invasive treatment for all skin types, including sensitive skin. It uses no harsh chemicals or abrasive particles that can irritate or damage the skin.
Who Is A Good Candidate For Dermaplaning?
Dermaplaning is a non-invasive skincare treatment suitable for most skin types. That said, it is best suited for the following:
- Those with dry or rough skin, mild acne scarring, or fine lines and wrinkles.
- People with certain skin types benefit from exfoliation.
- Individuals who want to improve the texture and appearance of their skin.
- Those who are looking for a non-invasive and relatively painless skincare treatment.
However, it is not recommended for people with active acne or sensitive skin prone to inflammation, rosacea, or psoriasis. Consulting a skin care specialist to decide whether dermaplaning is appropriate for an individual’s skin issues and condition is crucial.
What To Expect During And After A Dermaplaning Treatment?
Dermaplaning is a simple and painless cosmetic technique that exfoliates the skin with a scalpel to remove the dead cell’s outermost layer of dead skin cells and peach fuzz. The process is typically performed on the face, but other body parts, such as the neck or chest, can also receive this procedure.
Before the procedure, the skin is washed correctly to eliminate oil, makeup, or dirt. The dead skin cells and fine hair on the skin’s surface are then carefully scraped away with a sterile, single-use knife. The licensed skincare specialist or aesthetician will use one hand to hold the skin taut while utilizing quick, fast strokes with the scalpel in the other.
Typically, the process is completed in about 30-45 minutes, depending on the treatment area. After the procedure, a gentle toner is applied to the skin to help soothe and calm any redness or irritation.
More importantly, dermaplaning should only be performed by a trained and licensed skincare professional. Attempting to do it at home can be dangerous and may result in injury or infection.
What Are Dermaplaning’s Potential Risks And Side Effects?
Although dermaplaning is generally considered a safe and low-risk procedure, there are a few potential side effects and risks to be aware of. Patients may experience mild discomfort or a scraping sensation during the procedure as the blade removes dead skin cells and fine facial hairs, but this should not be painful.
After the dermaplaning procedure, patients may also experience some redness, mild swelling, or sensitivity in the treated area that should subside within a few hours to a day. Rarely there may be a risk of infection, scarring, or hyperpigmentation, but this is extremely rare if the dermaplaning procedure is performed by a qualified and experienced professional. To mitigate the risks associated with dermaplaning, choosing a trained and licensed aesthetician with experience performing the process is essential.
Following any post-treatment instructions provided by a skin care specialist is essential, including avoiding sun exposure, not touching or rubbing the treated area, keeping it clean, avoiding makeup, using gentle skin care products, applying a gentle moisturizer, and avoiding harsh chemicals exfoliants that may irritate the skin. Contact the skin care professional for guidance if experiencing severe or persistent side effects after dermaplaning.
The Bottom Line
Achieving smoother, brighter, and healthier-looking skin is just one dermaplaning session away. Integrated Med Spa offers dermaplaning using its state-of-the-art equipment and techniques to provide safe and effective treatments that can leave your skin looking and feeling refreshed and renewed. Don’t let unwanted facial hair and dead skin cells hold you back from feeling confident and radiant.